Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Series Books & 23 Things

How many of you are still writing 2009~ It is hard to believe that it is almost the middle of Jan. already. It is true that the older you get the faster time goes by.

Technically, I have decided not to do Flicker (or is it Fliker?) for personal matters. It is easy enough to send a photo when I want to. We have photo's on the library facebook page. I have also decided not to do RSS. I tried it and wound up with way to much incoming info and have chosen to stay with bookmarks. I can open what I feel like, no problem.

I did try to comment on a blog, but when I thought I clicked Publish, or whatever it was, I must have clicked something else, because my comment disappeared into the either, never to be seen or heard of again. I was commenting on an item bemoaning the popularity of "series". The writer was thinking of books for young readers with predictable plots, inferior writing, etc, etc. but I still have to ask - what's wrong with "series"?

I wouldn't want to do without them! How well I remember my father getting quite angry with me when I failed to respond to his call to come and set the table for dinner even though I was only three feel away! I was deep into Nancy Drew and honestly did not hear him. I have remained a mystery fan, and love series mysteries. You watch a character develop over time and see their lives change - as you do with your "alive" friends. It's true, there can be poorly written series, but there are poorly written non-series books (as we all know).

There are books we read for enlightenment and there are books that we read for "comfort". One is not "good" and the other "bad". Comfort books provide a great relaxation in a stressful world. They may not all be "great literature" - indeed, perhaps none might be called such. But, you know what? Some "great literature" while good for us, can also be terribly boring. I, for one, say - Up with Series!

And that is my soapbox for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment